22 October 2015

Oliver!

On 10 October 2015 I went to see a small production of Oliver! at Sagateatern in Borås (Sweden).
I had seen the movie, but not very recently and not more than once or twice - though I was familiar with quite a few songs from the musical before I saw it.

I just love visiting these smaller productions, it's amazing that extreme inflation has not reached the world of musical theatre yet, and that it's only grand and great productions left, on Broadway or in West End, or in Sweden confined to Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö.
Instead these smaller theatre companies takes on these amazing shows and does a marvellous job of it, finding astonishing local talents and creating magic for the audience!

I very much enjoyed this production of Oliver!, it is always a delight to see a lot of children having fun on stage, and they did such an amazing job, I am very impressed with all of them.
Filippa Johansson Rydberg and Karl Ström were alternate Olivers, and I love the fact that you cross over gender borders in these instances. While Oliver, granted, is a man's name, the character might just as well have been a girl - so why not have a girl play Oliver? Wonderful!
I got to see Karl Ström as Oliver (but do wish I could go back for a chance to see Filippa Johansson Rydberg as well - but unfortunately it's bit far to go ....), and I think he did a great job as Oliver!

Other favourites in the show were Alex Felle as Dodger - it's really a terrific character and Alex Felle did him every justice! Henry Augustsson as Fagin was amazing and of course Jan Hjalmarsson - the driving force behind the entire production - as Mr. Brownlow.
I think, however, that Tina Rehn-Wikström, as Nancy, impressed me the most! It's not an easy character to portray, there are a lot of layers that has to be shown to the audience, but she was fantastic! Her interpretation of "Så länge han vill" ("As long as he needs me") was one of the best I have ever heard! Amazing!

I went to the premiere of the show, and the curtain call was so much fun to see, very relaxed and very familiar and absolutely wonderful!! Karl Ström had recieved so much flowers he was hardly even visible behind the bouquets as he was coming down the stairs (I was almost scared he would trip!)!!

A lovely show, that I enjoyed a great deal!
Would love to see it again, however, Borås is a bit far to go unfortunately ...







Cast:
Fagin - Henry Augustsson
Mr Brownlow - Jan Hjalmarsson
Nancy - Tina Rehn-Wikström
Bill Sikes - Ulrik Arturén
Bet - Carin Backe
Oliver Twist - Filippa Johansson Rydberg / Karl Ström
Mr Bumble - Anders Gustavsson
Mrs Corney - Birgitta Felle
Dodger - Alex Felle
Mr Sowerberry - Bo Sköldberg
Mrs Sowerberry - Mia Hjalmarsson
Charlotte - Tuva Djupbäck
Noah Claypole - Emil Ny
Dr Grimwig - Anders Jansson
Mrs Bedwin - Christina Backe
Gamla Sally - Mairon Sigge
Charles Bates - Rebecka Hjalmarsson / Isabel Skotth
Nipper - Agnes Alth Olausson / Ellen Flodin
Bokhandlaren - Per Jacobson
Chairman - Bo Drysén

No comments: